[Hampshire] Checking /var/log/messages for an entry

Author: Brian Chivers
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Checking /var/log/messages for an entry
We run cups servers around the college and I'd like to be able to setup the system to email me if
the printers are out of paper. If I look in /var/log/messages I can see an entry like lp0 out of
paper but what I'm not sure about is how to get the system to mail me if this is the case.

I thought about doing a tail /var/log/message | grep lp0 say every 2 minutes but once the printer
has paper how do you know this and not stop multiple messages until there are a few more entries in
/var/spool/messages or if there is a lot happening on the box the grep command might miss it.

Can you do a time sensitive grep ?

Idea's please

Brian

                the views of Portsmouth College