Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] next meeting reminder

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] next meeting reminder
On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 09:56:52PM +0000, Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 6, 2007 at 08:59:21 +0000 (+0000), Tony Whitmore wrote:
> > Just a basic run through of desktop installation (also mentioning the
> > different installation options). Depends how it goes for time whether I
> > include anything beyond that. I think Adrian might be planning a mini-series
> > though.
>
> Well I hadn't thought of that (at least I don't recall doing so), but
> if you insist making me claim credit for good ideas I'm happy to oblige.
>
> So, what do people think would make a good follow up?
>
> Thoughts/votes for:
>
> - networking (particularly wireless, ndiswrapper, network-manager)
> - non-free bits (flash, mp3, other CODECs for video etc)

Those two will change quite a bit in feisty, and as we mostly target the home user (i.e. not necessarily interested in LTS,
but more likely to run latest release or latest -1) we should probably target the newer releases way of doing things.

> - packages

How to install apps, how to update/upgrade? Yes.

> - how to use (desktop walkthrough etc?)

That would be a gnome thing wouldn't it? So not necessarily Ubuntu specific.

> - upgrading from e.g. dapper to edgy

Is it worth it? There's a good guide already:-

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdgyUpgrades

How about:-

- How to contribute
- How to report bugs effectively
- How to find help on ubuntu (e.g. doc.ubuntu.com, wiki.ubuntu.com, help.ubuntu.com, ubuntuforums, irc etc)

Cheers,
Al.