Re: [Hampshire] Failure of fstab edit.

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Failure of fstab edit.
On Wednesday 07 Feb 2007 09:47, Alex wrote:
> > There may be a service or some module configuration running on boot that
> > is re-writing your fstab file - it is not usual to mount, but perfectly
> > possible, a DVD disk on boot. Try another DVD. DVD's, as you know, can
> > have latency or lag before the data is read into system memory, this
> > delay may be the cause of the problem.
>
> This was my initial thought when I first read this - perhaps something is
> replacing it when it sees it has been edited? Tried an `lsof /etc/fstab`
> to see if anything is reading it? Perhaps a long shot.

Thanks for this, Alex.

Here are the results. So, grateful as I am, I am no further forward. :-(

[peter@Dozy:~]$ lsof /etc/fstab
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() reiserfs file system /dev/.static/dev
      Output information may be incomplete.
[peter@Dozy:~]$ su
Password:
[root@Dozy:/home/peter]# lsof /etc/fstab
[root@Dozy:/home/peter]#

Now to try Graham's remedy... I could give my husband written instructions on
mounting and unmounting - but I have got the bit between my teeth.

Lisi