Re: [Hampshire] XP built for qemu

Author: Alasdair Ross
To: Tony Whitmore, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] XP built for qemu

> > > No, OEM licences like that live and die with the machines.

This raises an interesting point for me: My laptop died and was sent to
insurers as part of the claims process. They are sending me the HDD back (+
the XP serial key from the laptop hopefully).
Can I still use the XP installation on the HDD? Or, could I use the key to
create a Qemu image or suchlike on the HDD?
What counts as "the machine"? I assume that, on a desktop PC, I could have
replaced any individual component and continued to use the key, but then it
becomes a bit like the situation of replacing a broom handle one year and
the broom head the next and still calling it the same broom.

-Alasdair-