Re: [Hampshire] Linux problems

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux problems
Tony Whitmore wrote:
> Sean Gibbins wrote:
>
>> drystan mazur wrote:
>>
>>> 2: when using SSH if my public key is in the authusied keys folder I
>>> should not need a password to log into the server ? Is this correct
>>> because I copied the file in but I still need a password
>>>
>> You probably need to set this within /etc/ssh/sshd_config:
>>
>> PasswordAuthentication no
>>

> I've always known SSH to prefer key-based authentication over password
> auth. So it should check for the key and then fail over to password.

Hmm, I assumed that Drystan was saying that he does the key-based
authentication part and is subsequently prompted for a password too. I
also made the assumption that he would want a 'key + pass phrase' login,
which on reflection might not be the case, as he may just want to go
straight in with the key. I really shouldn't assume so much, should I?

:o)

Drystan, could you add a little more detail about what you are trying to
do please?

Sean