[Hampshire] Multimedia keys on an Acer Aspire 5633WLMi

Author: Alasdair Ross
To: HantsLUG List
Subject: [Hampshire] Multimedia keys on an Acer Aspire 5633WLMi
Hello,
This may turn into a series of questions to help me get things set
up on y new laptop, but hopefully I'll get a little way by myself....
I have an Acer Aspire 5633WLMi which is now running Kubuntu 6.10.
There are several "Multimedia buttons" along the edge of the keyboard
which I would like to try and assign functions to (4 along the top -
used for applications in windows, 6 more along the side - used for
volume, play, stop, etc in windows).
I have tried using xev but they don't seem to produce any keypress
events (or any events at all for that matter). Would something like
LinEAK [1] enable them or do you think I need to find a driver for
them?

Thanks for any suggestions,
-Alasdair-

[1] http://lineak.sourceforge.net/index.php?nav=docs