Re: [Hampshire] Multimedia keys on an Acer Aspire 5633WLMi

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Multimedia keys on an Acer Aspire 5633WLMi
On Thursday 15 February 2007 22:50, Alasdair Ross wrote:
> Hello,
> This may turn into a series of questions to help me get things
> set up on y new laptop, but hopefully I'll get a little way by
> myself.... I have an Acer Aspire 5633WLMi which is now running
> Kubuntu 6.10. There are several "Multimedia buttons" along the edge
> of the keyboard which I would like to try and assign functions to
> (4 along the top - used for applications in windows, 6 more along
> the side - used for volume, play, stop, etc in windows).
> I have tried using xev but they don't seem to produce any
> keypress events (or any events at all for that matter). Would
> something like LinEAK [1] enable them or do you think I need to
> find a driver for them?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,
> -Alasdair-
>

> [1] http://lineak.sourceforge.net/index.php?nav=docs

Hi Alasdair,

In case it's similar, there's a page about an Acer Travelmate at

http://www.kcore.org/?menumain=4&menusub=1

which gives this info:
------------------------------
Multimedia Keys

This laptop has several 'function' and 'multimedia' keys, which are
not mapped by the bios but generate scancodes.
These include:

    * Volume up
    * Volume down
    * Mute
    * Help (pops up a window with some basic info about the laptop
under windows)
    * Setup (opens a program to change some bios settings)
    * Change power mode

I used the hotkeys for it, with this acertm800.def file
in /usr/share/hotplug/ and then starting hotkeys as
hotkeys --no-splash --cdrom-dev=none --osd=off from your .xsession
file.

Debian users can install the hotkeys package.

There's some other useful stuff on the same page.

HTH, Peter