Re: [Hampshire] problems with editing GRUB

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: [Hampshire] Continuing problems with GRUB [was: problems with editing GRUB}
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] problems with editing GRUB
Thanks, Al and Sean :-)

On Saturday 17 Feb 2007 13:07, Alan Pope wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 12:05 +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> > Good morning all :-)
> >
> > I have one of my other boxen dual booting Linux/XP and have been doing
> > oit via the BIOS. I am now trying to get it to work via GRUB.
>
> Two things I *think* might be true :) :-
>
> 1) After editing menu.lst you need to run update-grub under root or
> sudo.
>
> 2) If you manually add any stanzas to menu.lst you should put them after
> the line that says "### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST" otherwise
> when you run update-grub I think it gets rubbed out.

Tried moving it outside the "AUTOMAGIC" box and updating grub. The entry was
still there, so I had high hopes. But when I rebooted, the same as before -
it hung, showing the filing system. :-( So I tried moving it back in the
"AUTOMAGIC" box. As you predicted, it just got erased when I ran
"update-grub".

I'm now tied up for a bit - will try using Sean's info later this afternoon.

Thnaks
Lisi