[Hampshire] Continuing problems with GRUB [was: problems wit…

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Continuing problems with GRUB [was: problems with editing GRUB}
On Saturday 17 Feb 2007 14:14, hantslug@??? wrote:
> Thanks, Al and Sean :-)
>
> On Saturday 17 Feb 2007 13:07, Alan Pope wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 12:05 +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> > > Good morning all :-)
> > >
> > > I have one of my other boxen dual booting Linux/XP and have been doing
> > > oit via the BIOS. I am now trying to get it to work via GRUB.
> >
> > Two things I *think* might be true :) :-
> >
> > 1) After editing menu.lst you need to run update-grub under root or
> > sudo.
> >
> > 2) If you manually add any stanzas to menu.lst you should put them after
> > the line that says "### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST" otherwise
> > when you run update-grub I think it gets rubbed out.
>
> Tried moving it outside the "AUTOMAGIC" box and updating grub. The entry
> was still there, so I had high hopes. But when I rebooted, the same as
> before - it hung, showing the filing system. :-( So I tried moving it back
> in the "AUTOMAGIC" box. As you predicted, it just got erased when I ran
> "update-grub".
>
> I'm now tied up for a bit - will try using Sean's info later this
> afternoon.

Have now spent quite a lot of time going in circles round the various things
suggested both by the pointers and by the places I was led to by the pointers
(either directly or indirectly).

I have still not succeeded in booting into Windows using GRUB. But the error
message is at least more informative - even if not, to me at any rate, more
elucidating.

I now get it freezing on:
<quote>
Booting Windows

hide (hd0,0)
map (hd0,0)(hd1,0)

Error 11: Unrecognized device string

Press any key to continue..._
</quote>

Which at least gives me the option of booting into Linux without restarting.

My current menu.lst is here (1)

There is a problem as far as I am concerned about the numbering, but
update-grub is most insistent that Linux is on (hd0,0), changing back to that
when I run grub-update if I am so audacious as to have changed it. And it is
indeed the Linux drive that I have set the BIOS to boot from. I have to do
so, GRUB is on the Linux drive.

But the Linux drive is primary slave and it is the Windows drive that is the
primary master. :-(

TIA
Lisi

(1)
### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default optons below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

## ## Start Default Options ##
## default kernel options
## default kernel options for automagic boot options
## If you want special options for specifiv kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
# kopt=root=/dev/hdb1 ro

## default grub root device
## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)
# groot=(hd0,0)

## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. alternative=true
##      alternative=false
# alternative=true

## should update-grub lock alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. lockalternative=true
##      lockalternative=false
# lockalternative=false

## altoption boot targets option
## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
##      altoptions=(single user mode) single
# altoptions=(single user mode) single

## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the
## alternative kernel options
## e.g. howmany=all
##      howmany=7
# howmany=all

## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option
## e.g. memtest86=true
##      memtest86=false
# memtest86=true

## ## End Default Options ##

splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title           Libranet GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.11-ln.std
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-ln.std root=/dev/hdb1 ro
initrd          /boot/initrd.img
savedefault
boot

title           Libranet GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.11-ln.std (single user mode)
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-ln.std root=/dev/hdb1 ro single
initrd          /boot/initrd.img
savedefault
boot

title           Memory tester memtest86
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /boot/memtest86.bin
savedefault
boot

title           Memory tester memtest86+
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /boot/memtest86+.bin
savedefault
boot