Re: [Hampshire] Continuing problems with GRUB [was: problems…

Author: hantslug
To: hants, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Continuing problems with GRUB [was: problems with editing GRUB}
On Saturday 17 Feb 2007 17:58, Damian Brasher wrote:
> Lisi wrote:
> > ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
> >
> > title           Auftakt
> > #  unhide               (hd1,0)
> > #  hide         (hd0,0)
> > #  rootnoverify         (hd1,0)
> > hide            (hd0,0)
> > map             (hd1,0)(hd0,0)
> > map             (hd0,0)(hd1.0)
> > rootnoverify    (hd0,0)
> >                 makeactive
> >                 chainloader +1
> >                 boot

> I was looking through this:
> http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/GRUB_Howto_and_Trouble-shooter
>
> and
>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&postid=1413211
>
> Basic question but does the XP partition boot when you unplug the Linux
> drive and make XP primary master?

Yes - I don't even have to unplug it. All I have to do to make it boot is
change the boot order in teh BIOS. So teh drive is basically fully
functional.

When I am doing it myself I am quite happy to dual boot by altering teh BIOS -
but I am not happy to ask my husband to do it; a mistake could cause me too
many problems, and it is certainly not something I could explain to him. His
choosing where he wants to go in GRUB is feasible. Anyway, it is time I
mastered GRUB.

> Just an observation but I see you have omitted:
> hide (hd0,0)

I have tried both with that in and with it out. :-(

> What you need to do next is set aside an hour or two

I have spent a good six!!

> go through every
> step of the above guides with a fine tooth comb and note down the results
> with pen and paper (or whatever) until you have built a picture of how
> grub views your disk configuration, file types, partition layout, kernel
> locations. The key here is how grub 'sees' things.

There is no problem with the Linux disk and GRUB sees it accurately, provided
I allow it to see it as (hd0,0). In fact, it won't change from that.

It is quite clear that it thinks Windows is on (hd1,1) and that there is a fat
file system there. And I have now changed Menu.lst to reflect this. (When I
checked, this was one variation on the theme which I had not tried.)

> You should get to the stage when you can type the grub commands to boot
> into MS XP then you can make these permanent.
>
> Hope this is not too vague,

No - it is very helpful. I found something to try that I had not so far
tried. So thank you. All help very gratefully received. :-)

Lisi