Re: [Hampshire] Wireless help

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless help
Tim wrote:
> On Saturday 17 February 2007 21:38, John Cooper wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> I have to compile my own rt2500 driver for every new kernel I install.
>> Check yours is loaded ok
>>
>> $ lsmod | grep rt2500
>> rt2500                173668  1

> root@2[mit]# lsmod | grep rt2500
> rt2500                150372  0

"0" means it isn't being used by anything. For example my "1" means
there is 1 module using it e.g. ra0. Try

modprobe wlan0

and lsmod to see if changed.
>> and check /etc/modprobe.conf for the alias. Mine is ra0 but you use wlan0.
>>
>> $ grep rt2500 /etc/modprobe.conf
>> alias ra0 rt2500
>>

> There is nothing in etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf but in the etc/modprobe.d
> folder there is a file called rt2500 and the contents are:
>
> #change the name of the interface to a standard one
> options rt2500 ifname=wlan%d

Looks like you are missing the "alias ra0 rt2500" . Add it to the above
file and do

modprobe ra0

That would explain why lsmod doesn't show rt2500 being used.
> Should I change the alias to ra0??

You'd have to change all the settings to ra0, but it should work as
wlan0 so leave for now.
>> Frequency 2.462 is channel 11 which is the normal channel used. My
>> wireless only works when set to "Managed" mode, not "Ad-hoc" (I set the
>> channel in Ad-hoc mode and then select Managed which then greys out the
>> channel option, maybe just Fedora gui)
>>
>> $ iwconfig ra0
>> ra0       RT2500 Wireless  ESSID:"myname"  Nickname:"laptop.me.com"
>>           Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.462 GHz  Access Point: 00:XX:XX:XX:XX
>>           Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:0 dBm
>>           RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>>           Link Quality=86/100  Signal level=-55 dBm  Noise level:-196 dBm
>>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

>> Check you config file. The Fedora is :-
>>
>> $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ra0
>>
>> GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
>> TYPE=Wireless
>> DEVICE=ra0
>> HWADDR=00:XX:XX:XX:XX
>> BOOTPROTO=none
>> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
>> DHCP_HOSTNAME=
>> IPADDR=192.168.0.2
>> DOMAIN=
>> ONBOOT=yes
>> USERCTL=no
>> IPV6INIT=no
>> PEERDNS=yes
>> ESSID=linksys
>> CHANNEL=11
>> MODE=Managed
>> RATE=54M
>>

> I'm not sure if this is the same, but I have /etc/networks/interfaces which
> contains a llist of interface IP setting for the IP, subnet,gateway and
> broadcast. The section relevant to wlan0
> is
>
> #auto wlan0
> #allow-hotplug wlan0
> iface wlan0 inet static
>     address 192.168.*.*
>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>     broadcast 192.168.*.*
>     gateway 192.168.*.*
> auto ra0
> allow hotplug ra0
> iface ra0 inet static
>     address 192.168.*.*
>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>     broadcast 192.168.*.*
>     gateway 192.168.*.*

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk