Re: [Hampshire] Wireless help

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless help
On Saturday 17 February 2007 21:38, John Cooper wrote:
<snip>

> I have to compile my own rt2500 driver for every new kernel I install.
> Check yours is loaded ok
>
> $ lsmod | grep rt2500
> rt2500                173668  1

root@2[mit]# lsmod | grep rt2500
rt2500                150372  0

> and check /etc/modprobe.conf for the alias. Mine is ra0 but you use wlan0.
>
> $ grep rt2500 /etc/modprobe.conf
> alias ra0 rt2500

There is nothing in etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf but in the etc/modprobe.d
folder there is a file called rt2500 and the contents are:

#change the name of the interface to a standard one
options rt2500 ifname=wlan%d

Should I change the alias to ra0??

> Frequency 2.462 is channel 11 which is the normal channel used. My
> wireless only works when set to "Managed" mode, not "Ad-hoc" (I set the
> channel in Ad-hoc mode and then select Managed which then greys out the
> channel option, maybe just Fedora gui)
>
> $ iwconfig ra0
> ra0       RT2500 Wireless  ESSID:"myname"  Nickname:"laptop.me.com"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.462 GHz  Access Point: 00:XX:XX:XX:XX
>           Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:0 dBm
>           RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Link Quality=86/100  Signal level=-55 dBm  Noise level:-196 dBm
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

> Check you config file. The Fedora is :-
>
> $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ra0
>
> GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
> TYPE=Wireless
> DEVICE=ra0
> HWADDR=00:XX:XX:XX:XX
> BOOTPROTO=none
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> DHCP_HOSTNAME=
> IPADDR=192.168.0.2
> DOMAIN=
> ONBOOT=yes
> USERCTL=no
> IPV6INIT=no
> PEERDNS=yes
> ESSID=linksys
> CHANNEL=11
> MODE=Managed
> RATE=54M

I'm not sure if this is the same, but I have /etc/networks/interfaces which
contains a llist of interface IP setting for the IP, subnet,gateway and
broadcast. The section relevant to wlan0
is

#auto wlan0
#allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
    address 192.168.*.*
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    broadcast 192.168.*.*
    gateway 192.168.*.*
auto ra0
allow hotplug ra0
iface ra0 inet static
    address 192.168.*.*
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    broadcast 192.168.*.*
    gateway 192.168.*.*

As for revealing my encrption code I put that down to several glasses of
Californian Chardonnay :o

Tim

All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html