Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Email inbox tidiness?

Author: Mat Grove
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Email inbox tidiness?
On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 22:55:09 -0000 (GMT)
"Damian Brasher" <lug@???> wrote:

> I wonder how folks here on the list keep their endless streams of
> emails tidy.

... snip ...

> What are others thoughts?

I filter mailing lists and everything addresses directly to me comes
into my inbox. When I deal with a mail I manually file it. In this way
my inbox has also become my todo list.

I use IMAP to store the mail so I can get at it from anywhere. In
order to keep things manageable I have a shell script which goes
through my folders and moves old emails into a duplicate folder
structure based on their age. The script keeps the newest 50 emails in
each folder and each year recreates the folder structure.

For example these are the folders that exist for family emails:

/home/work/mail/Maildir/.Archive.2004.Family
/home/work/mail/Maildir/.Archive.2005.Family
/home/work/mail/Maildir/.Archive.2006.Family
/home/work/mail/Maildir/.Archive.2007.Family
/home/work/mail/Maildir/.Family

The only manual thing I do is file email which was addressed to
me directly after I deal with it. For me most of it has to be automated
otherwise I wont do it. By breaking the mail into folders based on age
I limit their size and I find that the search function of my mail client
does the job fine.

Mat