Re: [Hampshire] Copying from one set of disks to another

Author: Victor Churchill
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Copying from one set of disks to another
On 21/02/07, Adam Trickett <adam.trickett@???> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Tomorrow I have the joy of moving one Red Hat EL3 box from one pair of disks
> (hw RAID mirror) to another pair.
>
> My plan is to take the two current disks out of their chassis and put them
> temporarily in another chassis with the two new disks. Then boot the box with
> a live disk (KNOPPIX or DSL). Create some new larger file systems on the new
> disks. Then copy the data file system at a time using the tar trick[1].
>
> I'll obviously have to chroot to the new system and do a GRUB install to get
> GRUB working, and make sure the new file systems have the correct lables.
>
> What else should I worry about?
>
> [1] http://www.hantslug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxHints/OneDiskToAnother
>
> As ever, many thanks in advance.

I had a similar task to do and didn't want to dismantle the donor
machine so used partimage [http://www.partimage.org ] to copy the disk
image (as sda0 not md0) onto a 3rd machine over the LAN and then
partimage'd it onto the new box (one disk) and then persuaded that to
make a RAID system of it. Did, as I recall, still have to do some
voodoo to get Grub set up but (unfortunately, or thankfully) I think
I've forgotten the gory details.