[Hampshire] Copying from one set of disks to another

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Copying from one set of disks to another

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57048100.hantslug.org.uk.19928': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Feb 21 22:23:51 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
Hi,

Tomorrow I have the joy of moving one Red Hat EL3 box from one pair of disks
(hw RAID mirror) to another pair.

My plan is to take the two current disks out of their chassis and put them
temporarily in another chassis with the two new disks. Then boot the box with
a live disk (KNOPPIX or DSL). Create some new larger file systems on the new
disks. Then copy the data file system at a time using the tar trick[1].

I'll obviously have to chroot to the new system and do a GRUB install to get
GRUB working, and make sure the new file systems have the correct lables.

What else should I worry about?

[1] http://www.hantslug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxHints/OneDiskToAnother

As ever, many thanks in advance.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor