Re: [Hampshire] Accessing a scanner via the LAN

Author: Mike Burrows
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Accessing a scanner via the LAN
Daniel Pope wrote:
> Mike Burrows wrote:
>
>> Tried that already I'm afraid. The thing is, if I understand this
>> right, the scanner is using the Linux box simply to connect to the LAN
>> and is not hosted in the same way as samba is hosting a printer. In
>> other words, is it true to say that the scanner is part of the MSHOME
>> workgroup?
>>

> No. saned communicates over TCP/IP, not SMB/NetBIOS which is what defines
> workgroups.
>
> Windows does however use NetBIOS names for TCP/IP name resolution and so you
> should be able to use just the Samba hostname to refer to the box, if your Samba
> daemon is up and running. Ignore workgroup names; as far as I can tell they only
> affect network browsing.
>
> I don't think you do understand it right, though. Apart from the protocol stack
> in use, there's no difference at a conceptual level.

Concepts have always been a problem for me :-)

As far as I can tell, TCP is working (at least I'm assuming so because
all the boxes are connecting to each other and the www). I know saned
is listening on the default port 6566 but no matter what permutation of
"scanner.domain.org" (the format that sanetwain expects) I can't connect
to the scanner on the 'marvin' host. Incidentally, I can ping marvin
quite happily.

Any other thoughts please?

Mike