Re: [Hampshire] Feb 10 TechTalks Videos?

Author: Jim Kissel
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Feb 10 TechTalks Videos?

Tony Whitmore wrote:
> Jim Kissel wrote:
>
>> The odd thing is, the WMV's for HantsLug are mute, where as I downloaded
>> several demo WMV's from the Internet and they play correctly with sound.
>>    There is a difference between the two sets of files.  I don't know
>> what that difference is, but I'm going to try to find out.  Any hints
>> would be appreciated such as how the WMV's for tech talk were produced.

> They probably don't use MP3 for the audio, perhaps using WMA instead. I
> did look at using WMA for the audio on the LUG talk videos, but ffmpeg
> can't encode to WMA, only decode. As it is I had to recompile ffmpeg to
> support MP3. I'm not sure it *can* be compiled with support for WMA.
>
> The notes I use to remind myself what I did last time are here:
>
> http://tonywhitmore.co.uk/cgi-local/wiki.pl?UsefulNotes/LugTalkVideos

Google found this for me and now OGG/WMV/MP4/DVD/Audio CD all work
http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/2663/how-to_get_full
It's a bit too much for the average user considering I was forced to
manually download the codecs and the dvdcss2 DEBs with a browser but
worth it in the end.

thanks for the helpful hints along the way. BTY the quality of the OGG
is better than the other two formats when you playback via Linux.

--
Simple effective migration to Open Source based computing

Jim Kissel
Open Source Migrations Limited
w: http://www.osml.eu
e: jim.kissel@???