Re: [Hampshire] Data recovery

Author: Dean Earley
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Data recovery
Tim wrote:
> A friend of mine laptop popped its clogs (mainboard), she has got the hard
> disk out of it and mounted it in a usb external case. But her new laptop
> can't access the folders because she was using users indenties with passwords
> on the old laptop.
>
> I have suggested that she uses a Live cd on the new laptop and access the
> files that way, will this work??
>
> Her new Laptop is running Vista (spit) and the old hard disk has XP, I was
> thinking of starting with Knoppix and if that did not boot then work my way
> through all the other various live cd till I find one that boots.

As it is NTFS, her old IDs will be in the FS permissions and denying her
access form the new PC.

If she has admin access on the new system, she can go to the security
settings (for the entire drive) and "Take ownership". This will then let
her change the permissions to give her access.

--
Dean Earley, Dee (dean@???)

irc:    irc://irc.blitzed.org/
web:    http://personal.earlsoft.co.uk