Re: [Hampshire] Data recovery

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Data recovery
Tim wrote:
> A friend of mine laptop popped its clogs (mainboard), she has got the hard
> disk out of it and mounted it in a usb external case. But her new laptop
> can't access the folders because she was using users indenties with passwords
> on the old laptop.
>
> I have suggested that she uses a Live cd on the new laptop and access the
> files that way, will this work??
>
> Her new Laptop is running Vista (spit) and the old hard disk has XP, I was
> thinking of starting with Knoppix and if that did not boot then work my way
> through all the other various live cd till I find one that boots.
>
> Any other suggestions

When I 'tightened up' the permissions on my old work laptop to the point
where the even administrator couldn't log in (arf!), I was able to ghost
the c drive onto a spare partition on a win2k machine, and then as the
win2k admin alter the permissions on that drive, ghost the resultant
image back to the laptop and thereby avoid confessing to the boss or
desktop support team what a complete arse I had been.

Failing something like that, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able
to grab the data with Knoppix or something similar.

Sean