Re: [Hampshire] Debian Woody

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian Woody
On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 14:05:10 +0000
Steve Kemp <steve@???> wrote:

> Worse than that, the actual woody packages were removed from
> the mirrors as part of the upcoming release work for Etch.
>
> If you want to install Woody now, sans security support, you
> will need to find/buy CD-ROMs or DVDs, or hope there are some
> repositories left online you can use.
>
> All in all it is probably a bad idea, even for older machines.
> The kernel will be old, the packages will be old. It would make
> much more sense to install a modern distribution then remove
> things that were too heavyweight.

I'd agree with that except for the final few words. I'd suggest
doing a base installation of Sarge with maybe the 2.4.* kernel then
once the base system is running install a lightweight windowmanager
- possibly xfce, avoid the tasksel package like the plague. Add
essential apps after that.

That way you avoid having to remove anything although you will almost
certainly miss installing stuff you will need but what the heck, just
"aptitude install" it when the lack becomes apparent.

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application