Re: [Hampshire] Debian Woody

Author: hantslug
To: Alan Pope, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian Woody
On Sunday 25 Feb 2007 15:12, Alan Pope wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 10:23:04PM +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> > If I wanted to use woody in a sources.list, would I just substitute
> > "woody" for "sarge" (in my own sources.list)? (This is for legacy
> > hardware that doesn't play nicely with "modern" distros!)
>
> What hardware devices?

The graphics card and monitor. (Really rather crucial. :-( )

This was actually an install of Libranet 3, but I also tried various others
(Kubuntu 6.06, CentOS 4.4 - a fair number. Everything I had with me
basically.) Every time the video was a problem - whether installed manually
or automatically. Each individual thing went in fine, i.e. the monitor and
the onboard graphics - and then crashed. The Centos 4.4 Live CD worked a
treat and I thought that I had cracked it - but the install crashed like all
the others. Even Knoppix couldn't cope. :-(

(John - I hadn't got my Sarge or Etch net install CDs with me, nor access to a
CD burner. I'm not yet competent enough at installing Debian to give it to
anyone else when I think that I've got a choice. And no floppies available,
and I can't remember whether there is even a floppy drive.)

Eventually in despair - this thing had to be got going because the owner was
using his brother's spare computer and it was about to disappear - I fished
out my legacy OSs (I have several vintages of several distros), started with
Libranet 2.8.1 - and it Just Worked. But there is the problem of security
updates and I was guessing that 2.8.1 was based on Woody. In fact, I have
discovered in teh intervening time that I was wrong. It is based on Sarge,
but the 2.4 kernel only. (The 2.6 kernel causes problems with the system -
tho' possibly not fatal ones.) So if all the drivers he needs are in the 2.4
kernel, I am home and dry.

So thank you for all the info and the advice - I always value you lot's
advice. Hopefully I even usually remember it. ;-)

Lisi