Re: [Hampshire] Debian Woody

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian Woody
On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 18:38 +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> On Sunday 25 Feb 2007 15:12, Alan Pope wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 10:23:04PM +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> > > If I wanted to use woody in a sources.list, would I just substitute
> > > "woody" for "sarge" (in my own sources.list)? (This is for legacy
> > > hardware that doesn't play nicely with "modern" distros!)
> >
> > What hardware devices?
>
> The graphics card and monitor. (Really rather crucial. :-( )

I find it very difficult to to believe that Woody will drive any video
card better than sarge (or for that matter kubuntu). It may be that it
works out of the box with woody, and doesn't appear to with sarge or
kubuntu but I suspect it can be made to.

For example your machine I installed Kubuntu on at the last meet
required a 2 min fix to make the display work. No extra packages, no
compiling of any extra kernel modules, just a one line tweak to the xorg
config.

Cheers,
Al.