Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up
>> All you need to do is point your 1&1 domain at your IP address, no
>> payment to CC needed. If you're going to run mail, set the MX server in
>> 1&1 to your domain name. Works fine for me anyways.
>
> Is there a tutorial on that one?
> the clarkeconnect newbie forum/tutorial site is down at the moment

This has nothing to do with CC; this is plain ordinary DNS.

If you don't understand how DNS in general (and MX records in particular)
work, start reading now. It will save you *significant* amounts of hussle.
DNS is very, very easy, but if you get it wrong, you will find it takes an
age[1] to sort out, and you will inevitably confuse yourself during that
time.

Vic.

[1] Well, a day really, since that is the TTL many nameservers adopt,
ignoring what you actually placed on the record. But any changes you make
during that day will be ignored - so although you *think* you tried
something, you probably didn't. So another day goes by as your new
erroneous record starts being cached...