Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu + Debian

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu + Debian
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:43:27 +0000
Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 09:59:40AM +0000, john lewis wrote:
> > Ubunutu has adopted a different policy with regular version
> > upgrades at defined intervals and sticking to this has caused a
> > few problems I believe for people moving from one version to
> > another.
> >

> Nobody forces you to upgrade if you are using a currently supported
> version. Indeed you can continue to use an old unsupported version
> if you dont mind not getting updates.

and silly me thought people used ubuntu so as to always have the
latest packages :-)

> In addition, some people don't actually read the documentation and
> do one or all of the following which may compomise their system
> stability/integrity when they upgrade Ubuntu:-
>
> 1) Upgrade prior to the final release being made available (e.g.
> using Feisty now when it releases in April) 2) Upgrade using a
> method that may well have been appropriate for Debian, but has been

<snipped>

> and Ubuntu aligns itself with Debian Unstable again and the process
> starts all over.

People will always fail to read documentation, it is something you do
after something has gone wrong.

> So Ubuntu is in a near constant state of zig-zag-ing between those
> states of "fork" and "non-fork" every 6 months.

Is this a good thing?

> Do all the other debian based distros (Knoppix, Linspire (was - now
> Ubuntu based), Mepis etc) which have their own repositories fall
> into your "fork and incompatible" blanket category?

I don't know, I did think some distros simply used the Debian repos
and added things like friendlier installers back in the days when
people had the impression Debian was difficult plus stuff that
cannot be included in Debian repos for copyright etc reasons.

There are people who consider Debian to be not GNU enough and have
set up a distro which excludes the non-free packages and perhaps
other packages not conforming to their strict interpretation of what
is 'free'

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application