Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu + Debian

Author: Mat Grove
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu + Debian
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 09:59:40 +0000
john lewis <johnlewis@???> wrote:

> If you want 'near cutting edge' then use testing. It might get a
> bit hairy for a while after etch is released as new packages are
> migrated from unstable but since unstable is mostly safe most of
> the time, even that migration process shouldn't cause too many
> problems. I have been using unstable for years without too many
> hiccups.

This is my problem - testing and unstable can every now and then leave
you with busted bits that could mean you can't do your job. Debian
Stable doesn't do that but the packages are older.

If you use Linux on the desktop for your job and/or having it busted is
not an option then you have to use Stable. A few years after a Stable
is released the packages get quite long in the tooth, you can either
start mixing an matching / use some backports or use a distro with a
shorter release cycle such as Ubuntu or Gentoo (and I assume Fedora).

This is why I stopped using Debian on my desktop - the release cycle
for Stable is too long and Unstable and Testing can break your system.
For me the OS is something I want to be stable and give me the tools to
do my job / work on my interests, in the past when I didn't have
anything I felt was that important (undergrad) to do with my time this
wasn't as much of an issue for me.

Just my 2p.

Mat

---