Re: [Hampshire] [OT]Forum hosting question

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT]Forum hosting question
Tim wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 February 2007 22:04, hantslug@??? wrote:
>
>> On Monday 26 Feb 2007 23:26, Tim wrote:
>>
>>> how can you work out your bandwidth useage
>>>
>> Change to Zen - they tell you. ;-)
>>
>> Lisi
>>

> I had a major falling out with Zen at the beginning of the year and told them
> where to go. I had an ADSL fault and they wanted me to swap my router before
> reporting to BT, and I said it had nothing to do with the router, in the end
> I went the other way and complained to BT about a noisy line (which it was)
> making my ADSL drop out, BT came out found a damaged cable replaced it and
> everything back up and running.

I have had similar experiences with Andrews and Arnold, who are an
excellent ISP. I think the problem is that BT can be as difficult for
them to deal with as they can for us, and BT tend to throw up barriers
to investigating problems to ensure that everything customer-side has
been checked and found good, i.e. BT will not accept a ticket until
certain criteria have been fulfilled.

I guess this comes down to the numbers; with such a vast array of
products connecting to their infrastructure they will have to filter out
their less astute customers who attach a kettle to their line and wonder
why they can't make a nice cup o' ADSL (I exaggerate of course!). Once
they have eliminated dodgy filters, old modems not suited to new
services, crappy extenstion cables, etc., they can be reasonably sure
that they are dealing with something within their power to fix.

Frustrating for technically astute customers, but good in the long run
if it drives support costs down and this is reflected in the price
charged to the customer.

Sean