Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu + Debian

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu + Debian
> So - you have the floor. Tell me why you think that I should try White
> Box before I try CentOS. :-)

I'm sure I'll come to regret this posting, but here goes...

Whitebox and CentOS are both rebuilds of RedHat Enterprise Linux. That
should make them near-as-dammit identical, in terms of the code you get.

But I have a problem with CentOS. Not with the code - but with the
developers.

Over the past year or so, a number of them (one in particular) has spent
his time on the Whitebox mailing list. Any time a question is asked - they
respond with an attempt to get the poster to move from Whitebox to CentOS.

Now aside from the fact that that is just plain rude, I think it shows a
level of ethics with which I am uncomfortable. Given the implicit trust
relationship between most users and their distro creators, that makes me
unhappy with CentOS.

And for fear of being accused of doing that which I find unpalatable, I'll
say no more.

Vic.