Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up

Author: m.nuttall
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up
Quoting Vic <lug@???>:

> > But how could they send spam if I have blocked the port they would use?
>
> You have a choice[1] of two scenarios :-
>
> - The SysAds at your ISP are entirely clueless and can't read the headers
> of the purported spam. You can determine this by requesting said mail and
> checking them yourself or getting SWK to do so on your behalf.

As i mentioned in the original mail it was a query about virtualdub that I sent
to yahoogroups list that was the supposed spam message.

> - You didn't actually block the port
>
> Now without seeing the evidence, I can't tell you for sure which one it
> was. But I see many, many more deluded protestations of innocence in such
> situations than I see SysAds who can't read the top line of a set of mail
> headers...
>
> > I use kerio pf v4 as a software firewall behind the netgear router.
>
> Irrelevant. If you're running Windows, you're running an insecure
> platform. Once the platform is subverted (as most of them are -
> particularly if you're running an old version like Win2K), any and all
> apps that run on that platform are at risk
>
> If you insist on running Windows, you have a duty either to disconnect
> yourself from the Internet, or else to keep your box patched up. Running
> Win2K cannot really be seen as an example of this.
>
> The alternative to this is to get spam complaints levelled against you -
> because that is what a vast number of these rootkits are there for.
>
> So you're running Win2K. And you've had accusations of spam levelled
> against you. Can you see where I'm headed, without sufficient evidence to
> prove otherwise?

I took on this conversation to understand a little more of what could of gone
wrong. I originally replied to the isp changing subject as pipex have an
inflexible attitude to spam which they automatically notched up a black mark
agisnt me when they could of looked at the virtualdub email and see it wasnt spam.

Martin N