Re: [Hampshire] What to save

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What to save
* Tim (xendistar@???) wrote:

> I am going to change distro, so I want to make sure that I have everything on
> my list of things to save before I wipe the disk.
>
> My list so far:
>
> home folder (email\video\pictures\mp30\docs etc.)
> smb.conf
> xorg.conf (for ref.)
> bookmarks
>
> I intend to save everything to a usb external drive, then wipe the PC disk and
> install afresh, then pull what I need, back off the usb drive.
>
> I have already booted the PC from the live disk version, and everything seems
> to work ok
>
> Anything you think I missed?

When I have done this, I normally just save /home and /etc. It may
be worth saving your grup/lilo config if that is in a different
location. (/boot) Also, if you have a web server running, that may
have doc root at /var/www

Basically I would recommend that you take your time, list everything
that you run now, and make sure you know where/how it is configured
and the location of any data files that it may use. If this is a
Desktop, it will be simpler, but if you run servers it will get more
complicated.

That said, I tend to quickly save the big stuff, and then pile in
and wipe the disk. Once committed, just work through the issues :-)

What distro are you moving from/to?

--
Philip Stubbs
http://www.stuphi.co.uk