Re: [Hampshire] What to save

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What to save

Mat wrote:
> I save these too:
>
> /etc/ (tiny size, but useful)
> /var/spool/cron/crontabs/ (if you use cron)
> /usr/src/linux*/.config (if you build your own kernels)

I use a spreadsheet to list all the services I have on a Linux machine on
one side and the relevant config files and pathway on the other side. This
can be easily modified for another machine once you write the template and
listing versions can help avoid conflicts when copying config files. This
works well for Linux as nearly everything that happens in a Linux distro
is a service or stems from one, even user accounts files (depending on how
you manage user accounts). It doesn't take that long and saves a lot of
time.

Hope this helps.

Damian B

--