[Hampshire] Wireless, WPA and Prism54

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Wireless, WPA and Prism54
I've been playing around trying to get my wireless card working with a
Ubuntu install I have on my old laptop. So far not much luck, but I
believe that to be significantly due to the fact that Ubuntu only has
basic wireless functionality as default, coupled with a suspicion that
I'm hoping somebody may be able to confirm or deny for me.

The card is an old(ish) 3com 54g card that uses the prism54 driver. So
far I've not managed to find a conclusive statement of whether it
supports WPA or not, some bits I've read say yes, others say no, but
these may be refering to the original prism, or prism2 drivers. The
Ubuntu documentation is also a bit hit and miss in this area from my
experience so far.

So basically, does anyone know if the prism54 driver supports wpa or
not? So far I think it probably doesn't, but I'm not 100% sure it isn't
a problem with my configuration (I'm never completely happy mixing GUI
config with direct crafting of config files), and wpa_supplicant doesn't
seem to be running as far as I can tell.

If it should work I can try some more debugging and either get it
working or come back with some more specific issues :)

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/
Aptanet Ltd. | Registered in England | Company No: 4905028