Re: [Hampshire] Wireless, WPA and Prism54

Author: Peter McGowan
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless, WPA and Prism54
Paul Tansom wrote:
> So basically, does anyone know if the prism54 driver supports wpa or
> not? So far I think it probably doesn't, but I'm not 100% sure it isn't
> a problem with my configuration (I'm never completely happy mixing GUI
> config with direct crafting of config files), and wpa_supplicant doesn't
> seem to be running as far as I can tell.

I've got a prism54 card in my laptop running ubuntu edgy, and I'm fairly
sure that wpa isn't supported (yet?) with the new prism54 driver. I just
use 128-bit wep with mac address filtering at the access point.

Having played around with wep and wpa on another machine with an atheros
card, I was getting almost twice the connection speed using wep, so I'm
not altogether sorry not to be using it on my lappy.

Peter