Re: [Hampshire] nfs - Mounting users

Author: Peter Brooks
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] nfs - Mounting users
On 05/03/07, Graham Bleach <graham@???> wrote:

> On 05/03/07, Peter Brooks <peter@???> wrote:
> > I need the directory when mounted to be owned by the group of kubeadmin,
> > however the two /etc/passwd's cannot be in sync.
> > Any ideas?
>
> You can run a UID/GID remapper such as ugidd on the client. I believe
> that there are server remapping daemons too, although I've never used
> UID/GID remapping myself.
>
> For your own sanity, I'd suggest making the GIDs match. That's not
> quite the same as making the whole of /etc/group the same on both
> machines and is feasible if you pick the machine to change the GIDs
> wisely, so that you have the smallest number of files to change the
> ownership of.

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

As the two machines differ greatly in their os, I'm gonna go with having the
same gid across them, seems to make life easier.

Thanks for the replies, if I ever get around to replacing Fedora with Gentoo
I might look at ugidd. Since pretty much similar users run between all three
machines on their local network.