[Hampshire] Mounting gone mad

Author: John Hunt
To: HantsLUG
Subject: [Hampshire] Mounting gone mad
I have a strange query:

When I plug a USB stick/ipod in to my system that is running Ubuntu
Edgy, it automatically mounts it (no entry in my fstab). If I un-mount
it manually, the light/do not remove message doesn't turn off/go
away...however, if I use the eject function on right clicking the
icon, these things un-mount properly (lights go out etc).

How on earth can I control how gnome auto mounts things? I think I'd
rather do it myself manually, or better yet, find out where udev or
whatever is doing it and configure it all there.

Cheers,
John.