Re: [Hampshire] Wireless, WPA and Ubuntu

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless, WPA and Ubuntu
** Alan Pope <alan@???> [2007-03-08 11:01]:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 10:51:39AM +0000, Paul Tansom wrote:
> > Well, not specifically Ubuntu necessarily, but it is beginning to be the
> > case that it is better to mention Ubuntu here than Debian to get a rush
> > of suggestions ;)
>
> That would be the helpful community of Ubuntu users in effect I suspect :p

Which is increasingly the same as the helpful community of ex-Debian
users also :) I'm still in two minds about this.

> > Anyway, having thought about my wireless setup I realise that I have to
> > have WPA support since I use it extensively on other wireless locations
> > (customers, parents, inlaws, etc.). I dug out my spare wireless pcmcia
> > card and that turns out to be a broadcom chipset (a Linksys card) and
> > Ubuntu bearly knows the card is there - first plugin it recognised there
> > was an unknown card plugged in, secont time it noted that it was from
> > Linksys and that they were now owned by Cisco, but no sign of it getting
> > a driver or showing up in the networking configuration.
>
> Which exact card is it?

Well, there is the question - well, in exact terms it is a Linksys model
WPC54G ver.4. If you look at lspci the answer varies!

My first pass gave:
07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Unknown device 07fe:2220

My second pass, which was quite litterally an up arrow to pull the
command back from the buffer as good as immediately after the last one
had run gave:
07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Linksys, A Division of Cisco Systems
[AirConn] INPROCOMM IPN 2220 Wireless LAN Adapter (rev 01)

Looking up what's written on the card lists broadcom as the chipset, but
that may not account for a chipset change on a revision change. I've not
yet fully investigated the output of lspci.

> Have you seen this page (and the pages linked from it):-
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx

Not yet, I hadn't been able to confirm whether it was broadcom or not,
and if so which broadcom chipset!

> > So, does anyone have any suggestions of decent pcmcia wireless cards
> > (54g compatible) that support wpa under linux?
>
> The following page may be useful here:-
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WPAHowTo

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt :) What I've not got is wireless
networking running yet. First pass was the 3com card which appears not
to support wpa, no I've got to get back to square one with this card and
get it recognised by Ubuntu - at least the 3com was detected and
configured for non-wpa networks!

Right, off to Google, of course all this is not helped by my wife having
been in hospital for a while, as well as my dad, and the two kids - not
ideal conditions to try to do anything much, let alone run a business
too :(

** end quote [Alan Pope]

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/
Aptanet Ltd. | Registered in England | Company No: 4905028