Re: [Hampshire] Securely deleting files

Author: john eayrs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Securely deleting files
I have a few queries on Securely deleting files and preparing a system so
that you can have sensitive files which are easy to delete.

One of the reasons I like fat32 or fat16 is that it is very easy to
overwrite files before deletion. I can overwrite file names so that file
names cannot be traced. Ie My sensitive documents on a technical
publication on a comercial sensitive subject is removed when the job
producing a technical manual for a company is finished.

On a linux file system there appears to a system log of the documentation
and the possibility of files being moved around on the hard disk in order
to have more efficient use of hard disk space.

On some word processors backup files are automatically created of data which
can make it difficult to guarentee complete removal of commercially
sensitive data when a job is finished.

If I created an encrypted drive using "TrueCrypt" with a FAT32 filesystem
for sensitive information would this mean that no system log of the filename
is kept and when I overwrite the file with random bytes no trace of the data
is left. It is possible to request that a word processor creates its
temporary files in the "TrueCrypt" encrypted drive.

Will the above work on a linux system or is it "pie in the sky".

John Eayrs