[Hampshire] Strange network problem

Author: Samuel Penn
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Strange network problem

Hi all,

I've currently got a very strange problem on my firewall. Some
people are unable to connect to it, and others can. Previously
it was difficult to debug since I couldn't replicate the issue,
but now I've discovered a couple of machines which I have access
to which also have the problem, so maybe I can finally try and
troubleshoot it.

The server is running OpenBSD 4.0 (upgraded from 3.9 this morning),
and is accepting connections from http, https, jabber and ssh.

One machine (Gentoo in VMWare) is very strange, since it can
connect to my website (via http), but not to ssh, https or jabber.
It just times out when trying these other protocols. Other machines
on the same network have no problems. Other people have problems
on all ports, from a variety of distributions (it might be possible
to say that only some Linux clients are having problems, but I
can't be certain of this).

Anybody have any ideas about how to start troubleshooting this?

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???