Re: [Hampshire] Strange network problem

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Strange network problem
Samual Wrote:

> I've currently got a very strange problem on my firewall. Some
> people are unable to connect to it, and others can. Previously
> it was difficult to debug since I couldn't replicate the issue,
> but now I've discovered a couple of machines which I have access
> to which also have the problem, so maybe I can finally try and
> troubleshoot it.

What kind of firewall are you using? Is the configuration such that you
have an adsl firewall with NAT to allow access to the Internet from more
than one machine? does the firewall have outgoing filtering enabled? Do
you use a proxy?

Sorry for all the questions but it is the best way to build up a picture.

> The server is running OpenBSD 4.0 (upgraded from 3.9 this morning),
> and is accepting connections from http, https, jabber and ssh.

This suggests your firewall is allowing these services through ok but I'm
wondering why outgoing is causing issues.

> One machine (Gentoo in VMWare) is very strange, since it can
> connect to my website (via http), but not to ssh, https or jabber.
> It just times out when trying these other protocols. Other machines
> on the same network have no problems. Other people have problems
> on all ports, from a variety of distributions (it might be possible
> to say that only some Linux clients are having problems, but I
> can't be certain of this).

Check your NAT settings on the firewall - as per above - are the firewalls
on your internal network machines on or off? - do the machines have NAT
enabled? - this can sometimes cause problems.

Basically if your happy with your main firewall then disable internal
machine firewalls to check they can connect then gradually add the
firewall rules checking along the way for external access.

Hope this helps

Must dash to burn of excess carbohydrates from pinite.

Damian B

--
Damian Brasher
www.interlinux.co.uk