Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Failed internet connection from Windows…

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Failed internet connection from Windows on dual boot computer
On Monday 19 Mar 2007 00:34, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> This is not exactly an Windows XP helpline, but anyway:

No - I know. But I was clinging on to it being a dual boot, and primarily a
Linux box. Sorry. :-( But I was getting desperate - and I know that you are
a knowledgeable lot.

> 1) The hardware is fine, because it works in Linux.
> 2) The network cables are fine, because it works reliably in Linux
> (you might need to check this, because if the network is going up and
> down, windows might get upset.)
> 3) The problem is due to software on whatever this "Windows XP" thing is!
> So, check the following:
> a) Virus
> b) Anti-virus firewall features.
> c) MS firewall features.
> d) Another 3rd party firewall software, e.g. zone alarm, if running.
>
> My advice would of course be to dump WinXP, and stick with Linux, and
> use wine if you really need some Win app.

Would that I could!! Believe me, real, lengthy and sterling efforts were made
(by Alan Pope, who spent one LUG meeting on it) to get this beast running
usably in Linux. It might have been viable on a newer and more powerful box,
but on the box it is on, it ran too slowly to be used.

> Alternatively, reinstall WinXP (required if the problem is a virus)

Yes - a reinstall is looking like the only option. But that will mean
reinstalling the Linux OS as well, because this was the box on which I could
not successfully rewrite Grub. In the end I had to reinstall Linux so that
it could "see" Windows and install it in Grub for itself. Linux itself is
running beautifully. This is the second time in 5 weeks that I have had to
reinstall Linux because of Windows. :-( And I do not intend to go online
with the Windows partition, even to register it. So any network problems
will be irrelevant. I just hoped that I was being blind or stupid and that
one of you would say "Just do this, and all your problems will be solved".
And the OU helpline was telling me to download something.

Lisi