Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Failed internet connection from Windows…

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Failed internet connection from Windows on dual boot computer
On 17/03/07, hantslug@??? <hantslug@???> wrote:
> I have a dual boot computer with both OSs on different partitions on the same
> drive.
>
> Linux connects effortlessly with the internet and with everything else.
>
> Windows connects to some of the network but not all and not the internet. I
> have tried pinging. I can (from Windows) ping the gateway and another
> computer on the network . I cannot ping the third of those turned on (which
> I can ping from elsewhere on the network), and I cannot ping the internet,
> even by IP.
>
> Network connections shows the status of the connection as "connected". Well
> it is. It can ping part of it.
>
> I am completely flummoxed, as is the OU computer helpline. I need to connect
> - briefly - to download the flashplayer extension (?add-on?) for Firefox, so
> that Firefox can browse the software.
>
> TIA
> Lisi

This is not exactly an Windows XP helpline, but anyway:
1) The hardware is fine, because it works in Linux.
2) The network cables are fine, because it works reliably in Linux
(you might need to check this, because if the network is going up and
down, windows might get upset.)
3) The problem is due to software on whatever this "Windows XP" thing is!
So, check the following:
a) Virus
b) Anti-virus firewall features.
c) MS firewall features.
d) Another 3rd party firewall software, e.g. zone alarm, if running.

My advice would of course be to dump WinXP, and stick with Linux, and
use wine if you really need some Win app.
Alternatively, reinstall WinXP (required if the problem is a virus)

James