Re: [Hampshire] Remove or not.

Author: Mike Burrows
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Remove or not.

>    Install a 2.4 kernel first. Ensure that that reboots happily. Then
> install a 2.6 kernel -- this should go in alongside the 2.4 kernel
> without uninstalling it. Then check that it reboots OK with the 2.6
> kernel. Then, finally, remove the 2.4 kernel.

getting into confusing territory here. i couldn't find a kernel image
uasing aptitude and apt-getting the kernel image already installed
(2.4.26-1-386) i get the message that it is already installed. So I'm
not sure what to do. was going to go in search of the latest 2.6 kernel
filename but i think i'll dwell a pause.

incidentally, aptitude is saying it wants to remove the existing kernel
image because of unmet dependancies. can that be rectified without
reinstalling?

TIA
Mike