Re: [Hampshire] Remove or not.

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Remove or not.

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56d96100.hantslug.org.uk.21650': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Mar 21 22:32:59 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 05:15:19PM -0500, Mike Burrows wrote:

> >    Install a 2.4 kernel first. Ensure that that reboots happily. Then
> > install a 2.6 kernel -- this should go in alongside the 2.4 kernel
> > without uninstalling it. Then check that it reboots OK with the 2.6
> > kernel. Then, finally, remove the 2.4 kernel.

> getting into confusing territory here. i couldn't find a kernel image
> uasing aptitude and apt-getting the kernel image already installed
> (2.4.26-1-386) i get the message that it is already installed. So I'm
> not sure what to do. was going to go in search of the latest 2.6 kernel
> filename but i think i'll dwell a pause.

Err... you posted a list of kernel packages you had available to
this list a few hours ago, in response to one of my questions...

> incidentally, aptitude is saying it wants to remove the existing kernel
> image because of unmet dependancies. can that be rectified without
> reinstalling?

You could try something like:

echo whatever-the-kernel-package-name-is install | dpkg --set-selections

where you need to fill in the name of the package that it keeps trying
to remove. That might work.

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
             --- Happiness is mandatory.  Are you happy? ---