Re: [Hampshire] Remove or not.

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Remove or not.

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5819e100.hantslug.org.uk.24823': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Mar 22 07:43:22 2007 GMT
gpg: using RSA key ED1319F325A97448
Mike Burrows wrote:
>> .
>>
>>    Oh, and what was it you  were doing to get this improper suggestion
>> from your package manager?

>>    Hugo.

> I think I now know what caused all this in the first place. While
> messing with real player I lost my sound. as part of that I thought it
> would be good to install alsa. that process required the loading of a
> kernel on which alsa depended. I'm pretty sure that is the case because
> I have lost sound support again following an update to a bunch of
> packages as a result of my efforts earlier today!

Mike,

If you can't remember why you started out on this journey and aren't
sure what you did to get where you are, you might find a notebook and
pen a useful tool in helping you retrace your footsteps. Write down what
it is you are trying to achieve and then do some research on-line on how
best to achieve it. You could also ask for advice on this list *before*
you start out making fundamental system changes. It would probably save
a lot of pain in the long run.

The "history" command will show previous commands you've entered in a
terminal. You might also find a book like O'Reilly's "Running Linux" a
worthwhile investment as it covers the fundamental principles of Linux
system administration.

Tony