Re: [Hampshire] Remove or not.

Author: Mike Burrows
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Remove or not.
> If you can't remember why you started out on this journey and aren't
> sure what you did to get where you are, you might find a notebook and
> pen a useful tool in helping you retrace your footsteps. Write down what
> it is you are trying to achieve and then do some research on-line on how
> best to achieve it. You could also ask for advice on this list *before*
> you start out making fundamental system changes. It would probably save
> a lot of pain in the long run.
>
> The "history" command will show previous commands you've entered in a
> terminal. You might also find a book like O'Reilly's "Running Linux" a
> worthwhile investment as it covers the fundamental principles of Linux
> system administration.

All good advice Tony thanks. Trouble with me is that I don't always
know I'm making a fundamental change until I have done it :-)

Anyway, with fingers heavily crossed I used aptitude to install the
2.6-386 kernel image and all seems well. Much to my extreme delight
alsa installed as well. However, the Creative Labs sound card still
doesn't work

0000:00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1
(rev 07)

which is strange because until the whole nutroll started yesterday it
was. It seems to have a module to support it too:

snd                    50660  13
snd_emu10k1,snd_util_mem,snd_hwdep,snd_bt87x,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device

maybe I need a further driver but I'll leave that for another time.

Anyway, back to the kernel install...

Had a little faf with XF86Config-4 but I seem to have got that squared
away. X couldn't seem to find the ps2 mouse but I worked round that by
plugging a usb one in instead.

So, apart from the loss of sleep last nights alls well that ends
well...kinda.

Thanks for all the help.

Mike