Re: [Hampshire] Proxy.sh script.

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Proxy.sh script.

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x584e5100.hantslug.org.uk.17067': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Mar 29 13:24:27 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 08:21:43PM -0500, Mike Burrows wrote:

> > > http://www.aboutdebian.com/proxy.htm
> > >
> > > it says the script is designed for 2.4 kernels. will it work for a 2.6
> > > one please?
> >
> > Sorry to post on my post but I followed the link to the IP Masquerading
> > page and I think that answers my question.
> >
> Actually, I still am confused. Mainly by further googling. Does the
> 2.6 kernel use IPTABLES or is IPMASQ the same thing. Or...is there some
> other undiscovered truth out there?

iptables is the network packet filter and inspection interface for
Linux kernels 2.4 and later. IP Masquerading is one function among a
great many of iptables. No special tool is needed to do masquerading:

# iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

is all that should be necessary for a dial-up connection, for example.

Note that masquerading is only necessary with a
dynamically-allocated IP address on the external interface. With a
fixed (or at least known) IP address, SNAT should be used.

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
    --- "What are we going to do tonight?" "The same thing we do ---
            every night, Pinky.  Try to take over the world!"