Re: [Hampshire] Next Etch problem - kernels: 2.6.20.x needed…

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Next Etch problem - kernels: 2.6.20.x needed (I think)

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57a49100.hantslug.org.uk.20788': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Mar 29 17:49:40 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 05:31:45PM +0100, hantslug@??? wrote:
> Etch ships as of yesterday's daily build with a 2.6.18 kernel. I think that
> the installation I am going to do will need a 2.6.20 kernel. I see that
> 2.6.20.4 is the latest stable version (as of earlier this afternoon).

> I think that the chipset on the motherboard on the system on which I
> shall be installing needs 2.6.20.x.

    Exactly what chipset is this? Which components are you concerned
about?

> Is that doable with Etch? And
> can I actually use 2.6.20.4? I have googled for this, but I don't
> understand the answers. :-(

I don't think it's possible to install it with that kernel (without
hacking up the installer), but it should be possible to install a new
kernel once you've got the basic system put on the machine.

For Debian, an abbreviated guide would be something like:

# apt-get install build-essential fakeroot ketchup libncurses5-dev
$ mkdir -p ~/linux-2.6
$ cd ~/linux-2.6
$ ketchup 2.6                       # This gets the latest kernel sources
$ cp /boot/config-2.6.18<tab> .config
$ make oldconfig
$ make menuconfig                   # Check here that you have the right drivers compiled in
$ fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd binary-arch
$ cd ..

You will then have two .debs in the current directory. Install
these and reboot.

> (I am doing a dummy run and installing on another box in order to find the
> problems in advance. But I can't suck it and see with the correct
> motherboard because I haven't got a box with that motherboard.)
>
> What kernel is in Feisty?

I'll let Alan answer that one. :)

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
             --- No names... I want to remain anomalous. ---