Re: [Hampshire] Next Etch problem - kernels: 2.6.20.x needed…

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Next Etch problem - kernels: 2.6.20.x needed (I think)

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57711100.hantslug.org.uk.23712': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Mar 29 19:06:25 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 06:30:11PM +0100, hantslug@??? wrote:
> On Thursday 29 Mar 2007 17:49, Hugo Mills wrote:
> > > I think that the chipset on the motherboard on the system on which I
> > > shall be installing needs 2.6.20.x.
> >
> >     Exactly what chipset is this? Which components are you concerned
> > about?
>
> VIA K8M890. Video definitely. Audio, possibly: tho' that could be the
> codecs/apps I have/haven't got installed. :-(

OK. The VIA hardware is generally pretty well supported, depending
on what you want to do with it. If you don't need high-end video
acceleration (for HD DVD or for a really slow CPU), or 3D support,
then you won't need any kernel support for video -- X will do that. I
would be pretty surprised if the "via" driver in X didn't just work
anyway. Again, if you don't need the video decoder or 3D, even if the
via driver doesn't work, the vesa one almost certainly will.

As for sound, VIA's website[1] says that the K8M890 chipset uses
the VT8251 south bridge (which is where the audio lives), and ALSA's
website[2] says that it's supported using the hda-intel driver. Given
that the 8251's been around for *at least* 18 months, I think it's
pretty safe to say that the relevant support will be in the kernel by
now.

Hugo.

[1] http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/k8-series/k8m890/
[2] http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=vendor-VIA#matrix

Footnote: If you *do* need 3D or hardware XvMC acceleration, then you
could have trouble -- but in that case it's because it just doesn't
work on some of the VIA chipsets. Some of the older chipsets are
well-supported, and some of the newer ones aren't. VIA is being really
crap about releasing documentation.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
              --- The future isn't what it used to be. ---