Re: [Hampshire] Adding a new system disk

Author: Luke Stutters
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Adding a new system disk
David Webb wrote:
> My old eide system disk is now 90% full, so I have invested in a larger one,
> also eide as I am using the sata ports for a raid 1 array and did not want to
> get involved with the complications of booting off raid.

It's probably best to move everything onto the new disk if you can - HDs
tend
to die when they have a rival (assuming the new one is a good one, etc).

> 1. Should my new big, faster disk be made primary master, with partitons
> on /dev/hda1 etc, or will the system be just as fast with the disk as primary
> slave (/dev/hdb1 etc) and the old disk (used as backup) staying as primary
> master?

IIRC bitrate is allocated per channel, not per primary/secondary device,
so either should be equally fast. Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT_Attachment#Two_Devices_on_one_cable_-_speed_impact

> 2. If I do make the change, will the present system still boot
> correctly if I tell the bios to boot from /dev/hdb? If not, is there
> a way around the problem without moving the disks around more than once?

No, you will need to change /etc/fstab at least. I don't have a decent
link for this one, couldn't see anything on the LUG wiki.

Googling for answers may work better if you search for ATA instead of
IDE or EIDE because it's properer.

--
Luke Stutters