Re: [Hampshire] Adding a new system disk

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Adding a new system disk
On Thursday 29 Mar 2007 20:58, David Webb wrote:
> 2.  If I do make the change, will the present system still boot correctly
> if I tell the bios to boot from /dev/hdb?  If not, is there a way around
> the problem without moving the disks around more than once?

I have installed various systems at various times with one OS on the primary
master and another on the primary slave, each with its own bootloader and
have adjusted the boot order in the BIOS. I have also booted from secondary
master and slave. I have never had a problem with doing this. You may need
to set the disk up as master and disconnect the other drive while you install
and then revert it to slave, but with Linux even that should not be necessary
- you can just tell the distro which disk to use when you install.

Windows will generally only play ball if it is on the master.

Another caveat: one of my BIOSes adjusts itself when any new hardware is put
in. So check the boot order in the BIOS after you have installed a new
drive.

HTH
Lisi