Re: [Hampshire] GUI editor as root in Etch running KDE

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] GUI editor as root in Etch running KDE

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58177100.hantslug.org.uk.22722': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Mar 29 22:35:48 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Thursday 29 March 2007 15:35, Hugo Mills wrote:

>    I'm running etch on this machine, and I can get a GUI editor
> running as root by doing simply:

> $ sudo emacs
>
>    If that fails, then:

> $ xauth list
>
> as the owner of the X session, then find the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 line
> for the <machine>/unix:0 connection. Copy this complete line to the
> clipboard. Then:
>
> $ su -
> # xauth add <copied line>
> # export DISPLAY=:0.0
> # emacs &
>
>    This will copy the private authentication token for the session,
> and give it to root. Then the export command sets up the environment
> so that any X apps started will try to connect to an X session.

>    Finally, if that fails:

> $ ssh -X root@localhost
> # emacs &

All that the sux package is to do all of this for you:

Package: sux
Version: 1.0.1-3.2
wrapper around the standard su command which will transfer your X credentials
to the target user.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sux/ ( from http://fgouget.free.fr/sux/ )

Tags: admin::login, interface::commandline, security::authentication,
use::login, x11::application

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
    -- Albert Einstein